Summer Services Details
Sundays take on a slightly different, more informal, character during the summer months.
- We meet at 10:30 each Sunday morning
- Coffee Hour is observed in Fellowship Hall
- A wide variety of topics are presented and services are lay-led by members and guest speakers.
- You’ll find familiar elements such as a greeting, announcements, readings, sharing of joys and sorrows, and an offering.
- Music varies throughout the summer. Our accompanist plays the piano and organ for most services. The choir is off for the summer.
- Childcare is always provided in our nursery for those who wish to use it. Please sign in and introduce your child to the childcare attendant.
- Kids are encouraged to start worship with their families and will be sung out of the sanctuary after Joys and Concerns to participate in all-ages Summer Adventures!
- Find out more on THIS PAGE about programs for children and youth.
SUMMER 2023 WORSHIP SCHEDULE
|6/18/2023||Kathy Carter||History of UUCP||Kathy will share stories and events from the UUPC history that have shaped us into who we are today.|
|6/25/2023||Judith Koren-Shanahan||The Arts Today: Inspiring, Controversial, Objective||—|
|7/2/2023||Brad Keefauver||Professional Wrestling and the Agreed-Upon Lie||“Kayfabe” is an old wrestling term for the created reality that added storylines, characters, and gimmicks to what, on the surface, looked like a sporting event. But even though fans are wiser than ever about the mythology of sports entertainment, professional wrestling is still more popular than ever before. What can it tell us about belief, truth, and ourselves?|
|7/9/2023||Pat Harris||My Father Was An Illegal Alien – From Scotland||Pat Harris will share the immigration story of her father and the remarkable way in which it unfolded.|
|7/16/2023||Paul Resnick||Naturalizing Your Yard||Alternatives to the green grass lawn.|
|7/23/2023||Jeanette Gruber||The Grieving Brain||Explore love relationships (including the ones with your pets!) along with author Mary Frances O’Connor, PhD, whose work is our wellspring as she has laid it out in “The Grieving Brain”.|
|7/30/2023||Keepers of the Great Grove CUUPs Chapter||Lammas/Lughnasadh||A pagan sabbat to mark the halfway point between the summer solstice and autumn equinox. Join our new Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans Chapter in this participatory ritual.|
|8/6/2023||Joyce Harrant||Edwards Coal Documentary||The film educates members on the closure of the coal plant and the current issues. A discussion in the conference room to follow.|
|8/13/2023||BJ Lindsay||Finding the Extraordinary in the Ordinary||Challenges us to appreciate what we may be overlooking.|
|8/20/2023||Rev. Michael Brown||Can the Religions of the World Save Us? (Or Maybe Just Lend a Hand?)||Rev. Michael Brown will share reflections on the 2023 Parliament of the World’s Religions, which meets August 14-18 in Chicago.|
|8/27/2023||Rev. Jennifer Innis||Blessing of the Animals||Bring your fur babies, feathered friends, and other pets in person or in print for a UU-style blessing.|
|9/3/2023||Rev. Jennifer Innis||The Question Box||Bring your questions to the service and Rev. Jennifer will try to address them.|
Summer Adventures can be completed on Sunday Morning at UUCP or from home while on your own adventures!